Why Study in Australia

Australia growing up quickly as a popular study destination among the students around the world. Most of the students go to Australia to study in the vocational education and training system and at university level. The most popular fields of study are business and management, information technology, engineering, and tourism and hospitality. Students these days are increasingly studying in a wide range of disciplines at Australian institutions.
Australia is the safe, multicultural and internationally recognized environment for further education, innovative research intensive culture and international rapport has made Australia a leading provider of top quality education to international students from all over the world.

Earning While Studying in AUSTRALIA

In Australia, international students can apply for permission to work. Student is permitted to work 20 hrs a week and full-time during vacations. But If you are studying masters or doctorate courses under subclass 574, then you are permitted to work unlimited hours a week.

Admission Tests on English Requirement/span>

For any course that belong to higher education category, a student must score at least six out of nine in IELTS – International English Language Testing System conducted by British Council – http://www.britishcouncil.org/. Even for vocational studies, trainings and for secondary level studies you must have at least score between 5-6 in IELTS. However, it depends on the course you have chosen.
Besides IELTS, the students who have scored at least 213 out of 300 in TOEFL are also generally accepted for admission in Australian Universities. Some Universities even accept Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (Grades A or B).

Cost and Fees

Tuition fees vary from AUD 6000 to AUD 7000 for a six-month graduate certificate course to over AUD 30000 per annum for a medical degree. Most full time degree and post graduate degree cost between AUD 10000 to 20000 per annum. In vocational education and training, costs vary from AUD 3000 to 4000 for a 20-week certificate course to over AUD 12000 per annum for laboratory or computer intensive advanced courses. The Australian government requires that international students and their families pay for health insurance in Australia through the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Scheme. Health care costs in Australia can be quite expensive. The cost of health insurance may be around $300 for a single person.
Australia is a great option not only in terms of the education standards but because it makes great economic sense as well.
Institutions will advise when to pay your tuition fees and acceptable methods of payment.

Student Visa Process in Australia

Any person who intends to undertake full-time study in a registered course in Australia needs to obtain a Australian Student Visa. A Student Visa permits the holder to travel to, enter and remain in Australia for the duration of the registered course of study. Overseas students cannot undertake part-time study in Australia and must leave Australia on completion of their course of study.

Student Visa Processing

Student visa applicants from India, Nepal and Bhutan are required to undergo a Pre-Visa Assessment (PVA).


Persons wishing to study in Australia should apply on form 157A and pay the current visa application charge.

Documentation to submit with your application

  • Four recent passport-style photographs for each applicant
  • Supplementary Questionnaire to Form 157A
  • Completed ‘details of relatives’ form
  • IELTS test results
  • Changes to the student visa regulations require varying evidence of funds dependent on the subclass of student visa applied for. Applicants should show funds and (income that support these funds) enough to cover, course fee, and living costs in Australia (AUD 12,000 pa) as well as amounts covering other family members. For details relating to the specific financial evidentiary requirements for each subclass www.immi.gov.au/students
  • All original education documents including all mark sheets for Degrees
  • Affidavit of support from the person providing financial support
  • For applicants below 18 years of age, details of arranged guardianship in Australia plus an affidavit from the student’s parents agreeing to the guardianship arrangement
  • Bank statement from the person(s) providing support outlining transactions for the past 6 months

Processing Times

Student applicants should lodge applications no more than 3 months and at least 8 weeks before course commencement dates. Some applications take longer to process. Students may be asked to undertake further medicals and some delays may be experienced due to the need to verify bank or education documents. Nepalese and Bhutanese applicants need to take into account the time taken for documents and letters to be sent and received by the Visa Office.

To be granted a student visa you will need

Complete relevant parts of the visa application form and lodge it along with

a copy of your letter of offer or Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE)
supporting documentation specified in the appropriate booklet from the Temporary Entry: Overseas Students series, and
Payment of the visa application charge.

Satisfy the student visa requirements

Major changes to Australia’s student visa assessment procedures came into effect on 1 July 2001 to streamline visa processing. The restructured student visa programme replaces the gazetted/non-gazetted country arrangement and the Special Entry Arrangements for PRC students. The Student (Temporary) Visa now has:

1. Visa sub-classes: for each education sector You should apply under the visa sub-class for your principal course of study.
2. Country assessment levels (CAL): Each education sector in each country is ranked according to four assessment levels.
3. Evidentiary standards: These visa requirements include English language proficiency and are increasingly stringent from CAL 1 through to CAL 4.
4. Electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCoE): The only accepted evidence of enrolment for processing student visa applications.
Generally, an international student is issued a multiple entry visa for the duration of their study course in Australia. This allows you to travel backwards and forwards to Australia within the period for which it has been granted. Members of your immediate family (spouse and unmarried dependent children under 18 years of age) may accompany you to Australia and will be considered in the same visa class as yourself. If you wish to extend your stay in Australia for further study you will need to lodge an application for a further visa.

Australian Quarantine Regulations

Australian quarantine is needed to keep out exotic pests and diseases that could affect native plants and animals, human health, agricultural industries and our environment. This role is undertaken by the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS). Visit the AQIS website for information in a range of foreign languages on what you cannot bring into Australia and what your family and friends at home cannot send to you through the mail.

Scholarships in Higher Education

In Australia, scholarships, fellowships, awards and other sources of funding for students are available through the Higher Education Group, DEST.

Applying for Scholarships

The Commonwealth Learning Scholarships, Australian Postgraduate Awards and Endeavour International Postgraduate Research Scholarship programmers’ are administered on behalf of the Australian Government by individual higher education providers. The providers are responsible for conducting their own application and selection procedures, in line with guidelines issued by the Department of Education, Science and Training (DEST). Potential applicants need to direct their enquiries on application procedures, deadlines, etc to their higher education providers. /p>

Commonwealth Learning Scholarships

The Commonwealth Learning Scholarships Programme was introduced in 2004 to assist students from low socio-economic backgrounds, particularly those from rural and regional areas and Indigenous students, who are Australian citizens or holders of Australian permanent humanitarian visas, with costs associated with higher education. There are two scholarships – one for educational costs and one for accommodation costs. Both are merit based, non-repayable and target students from low socio-economic backgrounds.

Australian Postgraduate Awards

To enhance research training opportunities in the higher education sector, the Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA) provides scholarship support to postgraduate students of exceptional promise who undertake their higher degree by research at an eligible Australian provider.

Endeavour International Postgraduate Research Scholarships

The Endeavour International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) was established to develop international research linkages and aims to attract top quality international postgraduate students to areas of research strength in Australian institutions.

Indigenous Researchers Development Scheme

The Indigenous Researchers Development Scheme aims to encourage participation in, and to improve the standard of, research conducted by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
The programme commenced in 1996 and in its early years will provide support for research projects and for training and development in research methodology and the preparation of research proposals by Indigenous researchers. In 1999, nine Indigenous Researchers Development grants were approved for funding at a cost of $0.13 million in 1999.

Research Fellowships

This provides opportunities for outstanding individual researchers to undertake research of national and international significance at postdoctoral level and beyond. Four levels of Australian Research Council (ARC), fellowships are awarded:

  • Australian Postdoctoral Fellowships
  • Australian Research Fellowships
  • Queen Elizabeth II Awards and
  • Senior Research Fellowships.

Merit Based Equity Scholarships

This Scheme ceased in 1999. No new scholarships are available. Any queries relating to the Scheme should be directed to scholarships@dest.gov.au

Accommodation Options and Costs

A variety of high standard student accommodation is available to suit different budgets and needs. Students can opt to live in university accommodation or with an Australian family. Shared accommodation with other students is common and popular.
Institutions provide students with help in finding accommodation and understanding lease and tenancy conditions. Temporary accommodation can be arranged before you leave home allowing you time on arrival to consider where and how you would like to be accommodated in the longer term. Student notice boards and newspapers often advertise rooms, apartments and houses for rent.
Further advice is available from your prospective institution.

University Apartments

Most universities offer a variety of accommodation on or near to campus such as university apartments, residential colleges or halls of residence. Halls of Residence are usually cheaper and a popular option with full-time international students. The cost ranges depending on the type of accommodation.

University Residential Colleges

Residential colleges provide accommodation with meals. They are slightly more expensive than university Halls of Residence. The college undertakes cleaning and household tasks. Sporting and social facilities, tutoring, libraries and (generally) computer access are also provided.

Halls of Residence

Halls of residence are located on or near university campuses and are generally cheaper than residential colleges. International students find them an attractive option. Students usually have meals and some cleaning services provided. Only full-time students are accepted. Students need to apply early because of the high demand for places.

Time: Current time [http://www.sweden.se/]
Largest City:Sydney
Indian Population:405,000+
Area:7,682,300 sq km
GDP:$1.235 trillion (13th) (2010)
Per capita:$55,589 (6th)
Religion:Anglican, Roman Catholic, Protestant
Currency:Australian Dollar (AUD)
Calling code:+61
Internet TLD:.au
Drives on the: Left