A comprehensive educational loan scheme was framed with the consultation of Government of India with reserve bank of India and Indian bankers association. This scheme can avail a loan of up to 7.5 lakhs in India and up to 15 lakhs for abroad studies. These figures are not stable in nature for banks. State bank of India is availing an upper limit of 20 lakhs and in recent days. Indian bank has upgraded its maximum limit to 15 lakhs for education in India and 25 lakhs for abroad studies. All the details given below will change time to time and students are advised to get right information from the banks concerned.
- All recognized courses having employment prospects
- Graduation / Post Graduation / Diploma Courses / Professional Courses
Expenses which will be claimed
- Air fare/Travel expenses
- Admission/Tuition fees
- Boarding and Lodging expenses
- Books and Stationary expenses
- Instruments/Equipments etc. required to complete the course
- Examination / Library / Laboratory fee or any other expense required to complete the course like study tours, project work, thesis etc.
- The eligibility criteria of the bank to obtain an educational loan from any bank of India:-
- The student who is seeking for educational loan should be Indian national
- The student should have secured admission to professional/ technical courses through entrance test/selection process
- The student should have secured admission to foreign university/institution
- Age of student should be between 18-35 years.
- Take a peek into other important points of consideration that the comprehensive educational loans:-
- You need to keep the following documents in place before applying for an educational loan:
- Mark sheets of the last qualifying examination for school and graduate studies in India.
- Proof of admission to the course.
- Scheduling of expenses to the course.
- Copies of letter confirming the scholarship.
- Copies of foreign exchange permit, if applicable.
- Two passport size photographs.
- Bank statement for the last six months of the borrower.
- Income tax assessment order not more than two years.
- Brief statements of assets and liabilities of the borrower.
- If you are not an existing bank customer you would need to establish your identity and give proof of residence.
If the course cost is up to 4 lakhs, nil for both studies in India and abroad. If the course cost is above 4 lakhs, 5% for inland studies and 15% for studies abroad.
Banks have the following security/collateral security requirements for granting loans to students. However, the requirements differ from bank to bank.
Loan up to INR 4 lakhs. No collateral security.
Loan above INR 4 lakhs and up to INR 7.5 lakhs. Security in the form of Satisfactory third party guarantee.
Loan above INR 7.5 lakhs.
(a) Collateral security of suitable
(b) Co-obligation of parents/guardians/third Party along with assignment of future Income of the student for payment of Installments.
Rate of interest
The rate of interest is 10.75 % up to INR 4 lakhs and it does not exceed the Prime Lending Rates (PLR). For a loan above INR 4 lakhs, the interest rate is 11.75 % and it will not exceed PLR plus 1 percent. However, the rate of interest is subject to changes as per the specifications of RBI or the concerned bank.
Loans are repayable in 5 to 7 years. Repayment of both principal and interest will start after one year after completion of the course or six months after getting employment, whichever is earlier. Interest will be charged on simple basis during the period of study / moratorium period. At the commencement of repayment, the accrued interest is added to the principal amount and Equated Monthly Installments (EMIs) fixed on total outstanding amount. After commencement of repayment, the benefit of simple interest would be discontinued.
Most of the Indian banks do not charge any processing fee or upfront charges. The State Bank of India accepts a deposit of INR 5000 for education loan for studies abroad, which is adjusted in the margin money.
You can avail the loan from the branch nearest to the place of your permanent domicile.
While applying the loan, in the case of normal course your future income prospect will be taken into account. If required the means of your parent or guardian can also be taken into account to evaluate re-payment capability.
The loan is sanctioned as per delegation of powers preferably by the branch nearest to the place of domicile. No application for educational loan received is rejected without the concurrence of the next higher authority.
The loan is disbursed in stages as per the requirement/demand directly to the institutions/vendors of books/equipments/ instruments to the extent possible.
The bank from which you have availed the loan can contact the college/university authorities to send your progress reports, at regular intervals.
If you are going abroad to study, some of the foreign universities require you to submit a certificate from your bankers about the sponsor’s solvency/financial capability with a view to ensure that your sponsors are capable of meeting the expenses till completion of studies. Accordingly branches can also issue the capability certificate. For this financial and other supporting documents may be obtained from you, if required.
Finally, you need to hit on the right bank with the right educational loan scheme to suit your needs. Parameters to weigh the alternatives are many; as in, whether the bank provides loan for the course you are opting for and if yes, then up to what extent, the margin and security requirements, the rate of interest, proximity of bank to your residence, et al. The discretion is yours after a thorough analysis.
Embassy will never accept any type of Bank Loan from Co. Operative Bank.
“Government of Gujarat is providing special student loan of 15 Lac to study abroad to Student of Reserve Category just only at the rate of 4% interest”